Wednesday 21 July 2010

'bamboo hooks' by infusion fibers


bamboo hooks, originally uploaded by infusion fibers.

I know this blog is meant to be all about the photos but I am actually after some advice tonight. Does anyone know how to crochet? I used to enjoy knitting and have heaps of wool around the house but have lost the motivation really as it's just so time consuming. I therefore thought I might give crochet a go. So, how easy is it to teach yourself crochet? Any tips would be greatly apprieciated as I have absolutely no idea where to start.

And don't worry I haven't forgotten about the photos! I obviously wanted to find a gorgeous crochet inspired photo to go with this post. I found so many lovely pictures of people's brightly coloured blankets, cushions, hats etc but this one really struck my eye as it was completely the opposite to all those pictures. I love the natural colours. And that selection of crochet hooks looks impressive. It looks looks like it was taken by someone who is fantastic at photography and rather a pro at crochet too!

7 comments:

  1. Bamboo crochet hooks! They're so pretty! Want :)

    I crochet :) It's pretty easy to do the basics and you'll find lots of instructions online :) Try youtube! That's how I've been teaching myself a lot of new knitting stitches :)

    If you're after a book, the best I've ever found on knitting, crochet, tatting etc is The Good Housekeeping Step by Step Encyclopaedia of Needlecraft which is older than me.

    I found it on Amazon going from a couple of pounds. Might invest in my own copy :) But it is the one I go back too time and again!

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Housekeeping-Step-Encyclopaedia-Needlecraft/dp/0852231644/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279749911&sr=8-6

    Any good? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to crochet and loved it. A lot quicker and more relaxing than knitting:) Google is your friend, as is youtube so can't add anything more to what Emily said, only good luck:) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to learn how to crochet! My mom knows how but she's in Canada...maybe the next time I'm home she can teach me and I can explain? uh, that would prolly be Christmas though...oops

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pic, especially the natural colours and different textures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be Googling and a good idea to check out You Tube. And I had a look at that book on Amazon. I'm sure it's got some useful tips in it and it looks really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    ahhhh the delights of crochet! I cannot do without this art form! it's so awesome to be able to keep my hands busy while I'm sitting on the sofa with the hubster watching television or a movie!

    I have my mother to thank for learning how to crochet...she was always doing it when I was growing up...so much so that I actually used to hate seeing her do it as much as she did...because it meant that she couldn't colour or play cards with me! lol

    as far as learning....or any advice....
    I've seen some youtube toot videos...and once you learn the basics, like how to hold your thread tension and wrap it in your fingers...and the hook and pulling method it's all easy after that!

    I love looking at other crochet samples and following the patterns that way.....
    but to start I'd look for crochet magazines with drawings for patterns. Following 'words' can be boring and difficult as well!

    but practise doing the chaining first
    that will help you get the feel for it!

    hope that helps a bit!

    maybe I should make a video?!

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a teach yourself crochet kit and gave up after two very frustrating days. A couple of months later I suddenly thought of checking out You Tube and I was away. I can now follow basic patterns and I have made a baby blanket and started a big project - a big blanket for our house. I am utterly in love with Attic 24, it was the blog that inspired me to actually start.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails